A pre-health science program is an undergraduate course that prepares high school graduates for admission in health or science-related post-secondary courses, such as massage therapy, practical nursing, transportation and other programs. The aim is to help students strengthen their academic skills as well as explore various career options in science and health-related fields.
The one-year pre-health program in Toronto runs through two semesters and covers a range of science subjects, including mathematics, chemistry, biology, pre-anatomy and physiology. The students will also study developmental psychology. Along with this, a strong emphasis is laid on communication and computer skills for healthcare practitioners. The teaching methodology includes classroom lectures, computer labs, group discussions and on-on-one counselling.
Benefits of a Pre-Health Program
A Pre-health program prepares students for future educational and career goals. Along with this, it also helps them in:
– Acquiring academic credentials necessary for seeking admission in a science or health program at the college
– Developing strong fundamentals in science subjects, especially those who have not studied science subjects in school but want to pursue careers in any of the related fields
– Exploring various career paths associated with health and science subjects
– Exploring specific career interests
Who Should Consider This Program?
This program is for high school graduates, who
– Are considering college programs in practical nursing, massage therapy and other related courses
– Are seeking admission in post-secondary science courses but haven’t completed these in high school
– Don’t have much idea about career paths available in science and health disciplines
– Wish to explore their specific career goals while further strengthening their fundamentals in core science subjects
Where To Study Pre-Health Program?
A number of colleges in Toronto offer pre-health programs. Unfortunately, not all colleges offer healthy environment. Centennial College’s program in pre-health foundation may be the right choice. The college offers a culturally diverse yet friendly learning environment. Besides, the faculty members are always ready to help students with their queries.
Apart from this, the students also receive one-on-one counselling, which helps them explore their hidden potential and specific career interests. They gain an understanding of diverse career options associated with various post-secondary science courses and identify which of them best suits their career goals. In addition to this, the college accepts students who qualify this program in major post-secondary science courses.
Admission to this program is offered to students those who have applied to college’s post-secondary science programs but do not fulfill admission requirements. However, in order to be eligible for this program, they will need:
– Secondary school diploma certificate or equivalent, or mature student status (19 years or elder)
– Required minimum score in English Grade 12 C or University, or equivalent. They may need to take English skills assessment by the college, in case they don’t fulfill this requirement.
– Required minimum score in Mathematics Grade 11 M or 12 C or University, or equivalent or take Math skills assessment for admission